The .AM country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) is an extension that represents Armenia.
For companies that conduct business in that area and individuals who want to reach the growing number of Internet users there, .am domain names are a good investment. Registering a .am domain name gives you regional recognition and an easy-to-manage Web presence.
AMNic is the registry for .am domain names.
Domains within the .am ccTLD enjoy popularity due to the connection to AM radio (similar to the .fm and .tv ccTLDs), and the ability to form English words ending in “am” — e.g. the mobile photo sharing service Instagram uses the Armenian domain name Instagr.am. Such unconventional usage of TLDs in domain names are called domain hacks.
The registry for .am is operated by ISOC-AM, the local chapter of the Internet Society.
- Any person in the world can register a .am, .com.am, .net.am, .org.am domain for a fee.
- Each domain name is subject to review. Generally each review takes 2 or 3 working days.
- Armenian law prohibits its domain names from being used for spam, pornography, or terrorism sites.
- The AM-NIC was moved over to IPv6 address compatibility in line with the global DNS system.
- Unicode compatible names will not be instituted at AM-NIC until all issues related to IPv6 are resolved.