Want to have your own personal image gallery management or develop a service (like shuttercock, flickr, pexels, gify, unsplash, getty images, imgur) to provide image/photos management system to photographers, studio managers, photo-shoot developers, professional image experts etc.
We will tell you how you can develop a online portal or app to manage all the photos and high quality images on your website with a fine access control system that only you and your clients can access for personal or professional use, that too with free or opensource software or apps.
You can install a plenty of opensource apps on your hosting platforms (preferably Linux). You can get the hosting packages here. To manage images or high quality images and videos, you would require good amount of storage. Try atleast 500GB or 1 TB of web space which is available in Virtual servers and dedicated servers. Once you map the servers with your domain name or dedicated ip address, simply go to the control panel (cPanel/WHM) and install the Image apps from the app center. The app center will manage the database installation and table structures itself automatically.
Before moving to opensource apps dedicated to file management and image/photo galleries, we will discuss how to manage it on WordPress for all existing users of WP.
How to setup image management / photo gallery in WordPress?
If you are already using a WordPress CMS and do not want to install any other app on server, then you can manage all your files and images within WordPress itself by using few plugins. To install any of these plugins you just need to search them in the plugin center within WordPress and then download to activate them
Media Library – WordPress Default
It’s the default pre-installed media manager in WordPress, that you can use manage all your images. It has very basic limited features that you can use while attaching it to any post or page on WordPress.
You can upload any number of images using the bulk upload and import images from previous blogs and websites using import option.
Photo Gallery by 10Web – Mobile-Friendly Image Gallery
If you’re looking for a user friendly and feature rich plugin to add responsive galleries and albums to your website, Photo Gallery plugin can be the best option for you. It’s simple in use yet packed with powerful functionality, allowing you to create anything from simple photo galleries to selling digital content right from your website (Premium version). Photo Gallery comes packed with stunning layout options, gallery and album views, multiple widgets and a number of extensions that take its functionality even further. WordPress Photo Gallery is a great choice for photography websites and blogs, as well as sites that want to have robust image galleries with easy navigation.
FooGallery is an easy-to-use WordPress gallery plugin, with stunning gallery layouts. It is also responsive, retina-ready and supports lazy loading for lightning fast photo galleries.
Live previews are available while creating a gallery, and also within the Gutenberg block editor with our FooGallery Block. FooGallery was built to be highly configurable and extendable for developers or freelancers.
Envira Photo Gallery
Envira is highly optimized for web and server performance because we understand the importance of speed when it comes to image and gallery load times, as well as SEO and conversion. You can create albums, tags, social media integration, gallery templates / gallery layouts, deeplinking, pagination, e-commerce, image proofing, and tons more.
Image Gallery by Robo – Responsive Photo Gallery
Robo Gallery is fast and easy to manage plugin with simple and very beautiful, highly customizable design. With Robo plugin even newbie in WordPress will be able to create your first gallery in few minutes and at the same time WordPress professionals get advanced tools and freedom of creativity. With features like – Gutenberg block, Fully responsive and Mobile features, Statistics, Custom Thumbnails, Backup, Drag and Drop Categories Manager.
Modula Image Gallery
Modula is the WordPress gallery plugin for adding custom, unique and responsive galleries to your website. There is a free version of Modula available (Modula Lite) and a premium version (Modula Pro) both of which will allow you to add amazing, fast-loading galleries to your website. With Modula, it’s easy to build stunning lightbox galleries, masonry grids, custom grids and more in no more than a few clicks right from the WordPress dashboard.
File Manager allows you to edit, delete, upload, download, zip, copy and paste files and folders directly from the WordPress backend. Don’t bother with FTP to manage and move your files from location to location. The most powerful, flexible, and easiest WordPress file management solution ever built!
Below the apps that you can choose to install by automatic or manual mode –
Zenphoto is an open source gallery and photo blogging application. Zenphoto was initially released in 2005 and today powers more than 300,000 photo galleries. ZenphotoCMS is a CMS for selfhosted, gallery focused websites.
Zenphoto features support for images, video and audio formats, and the Zenpage CMS plugin provides a fully integrated news section (blog) and custom pages to run entire websites.
This makes Zenphoto the ideal CMS for personal websites of illustrators, artists, designers, photographers, film makers and musicians.
- Upload files and folders via the administration or directly via FTP.
- Dynamic Image Processing automatically generates sized images.
- GeoTagging and EXIF/IPTC metadata support.
- Categorize images into galleries, apply tags and keywords.
- Drag and Drop sorting, moving, copying, renaming of albums and images.
- Multiple album views, including slideshow view.
- Visitor commenting options.
- Supported formats: jpg, gif, png, mp3, mp4, m4v, m4a, fla, flv, mov, 3gp.
ownCloud is an free opensource software that enables user to host files and is very similar to file hosting platforms like Dropbox, Box, or Google drive. You can install it through our app center free of cost and manage all your files and share them with your users or clients.
- Connect any number of devices.
- Access and sync data from any device – mobile, tab, computers/laptops.
- Versioning enables files to “rollback” any previous version.
- Encryption enables files to be encrypted with a password.
- Publicly share files using a Directory, Calendar, or Gallery format.
- Storage space limited to the physical server limits. Take high storage servers as per your needs.
Piwigo is an open source gallery application. Piwigo was initially released in 2002 and renamed from PhpWebGallery in 2009.
- Privacy on your Photos. Make your photos private and decide who can see each of them. You can set permissions on albums and photos, for groups or individual users.
- Photo Tagging. Offer your visitors another way to browse your photos, starting from the tags cloud and using multiple related tags to reduce the selection.
- Browse by Date. Digital cameras store the date in the photo and Piwigo uses this date to display your photo collection in a calendar and let you browse from day to day.
- Statistics and Management Tools. Administrators can browse history, process photos in batch mode, validate comments and user photos, add permalinks or manage remote servers.
- Themes and Plugins. Change appearance with themes. Add features with plugins. Extensions require just a few clicks to get installed. 350 extensions available, and growing!
Alfresco Community is an open source Enterprise Content Management (ECM) application.
Alfresco Community manages all the content within an enterprise and provides the services and controls that manage this content.
- At the core of the Alfresco system is a repository supported by a server that persists content, metadata, associations, and full text indexes.
- Programming interfaces support multiple languages and protocols upon which developers can create custom applications and solutions.
- Out-of-the-box applications provide standard solutions such as document management, records management and web content management.
Codiad is a free integrated development environment (IDE) application. Codiad was initially released in 2013. Codiad was built with simplicity in mind, allowing for fast, interactive development without the massive overhead of some of the larger desktop editors. That being said even users of IDE’s such as Eclipse, NetBeans and Aptana are finding Codiad’s simplicity to be a huge benefit. While simplicity was key, we didn’t skimp on features and have a team of dedicated developer actively adding more.
NextCloud is an open source file sync and share application. NextCloud forked from ownCloud in 2016. Nextcloud Files offers an on-premise Universal File Access and sync platform with powerful collaboration capabilities and desktop, mobile and web interfaces.
- Easy access anywhere: A modern and easy-to-use web interface, desktop clients and mobile apps. Real-time collaboration and instant access to all data from any device, anywhere!
- Ultimate security: An open source, self-hosted product. Powerful on-server and End-to-end Encryption. Files are stored inside your company infrastructure, without any third party ever gaining access.
- Deep integration: Access data from FTP, Windows Network Drive, SharePoint, NFS, Object storage and more. Simple deployment, configuration and integration lower costs and decrease risk while leveraging existing IT investments.
OpenDocMan is an open source document management application that is designed to comply with ISO 17025 and OIE standards. Initially released in 2004, OpenDocMan has a growing community of international users from individuals to government agencies and fortune 500 companies.
OpenDocMan features web based access, fine grained control of access to files, and automated install and upgrades. Unlike most DMS’s that require you to change your business rules in order to manage your documents, OpenDocMan allows you to integrate your current rules.
- Supports multiple file types
- OpenDocMan lets you concentrate on the business at hand, document management.
- IT staff and managers can delegate document management duties to any number of staff members, through user and group permissions. Permissions can be set as restrictively or permissively as needed.
- Secure URL feature to obfuscate URL parameters
- No FTP required, upload directly from browser
- Documents are stored physically on the server
- File expiration
- Create custom document properties to match your companies needs
- Quick-browse search by author, department, or category
- Full search by meta-data, author, department, category, file name, comments,etc.
Coppermine Photo Gallery is an open source image gallery application which is multi-purpose and fully-featured integrated script written in PHP using GD or ImageMagick as image library with a MySQL backend. Coppermine is free software and is being released under the GNU GPL license.
- Arrangement of pictures in categories and albums
- Caption, title, description and user defined fields for each picture
- Full multimedia support
- User management, search and index images based on meta data.
- multi-lingual: Arabian, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (both Big-5 and GB), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German (both “Du” and “Sie”), Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian (both with and without diacritics), Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Uighur, Vietnamese; if your language is not on the list, you can easily create a translation for your own language;
- Integration of user management with various bbs (like phpBB, YaBB SE, SMF, Invisionboard, vbulletin)
- separation of the breadcrumb block so that it can be placed independently of category in the template;
- option to choose max height or width for thumbnails will help in creating nicer looking thumbnail rows and cols;
Koken is a free gallery application. Koken was initially released in 2013. Koken is a free system designed for publishing independent web sites of creative work. Content management and web site publishing for photographers
- Built for photography: Your images are your most important asset. Koken treats them with the attention they deserve by including a full-featured management interface that looks and feels like a desktop application.
- Work and words, together: Write about portfolio updates, inspiration, or anything that comes to mind. Images, videos, slideshows and content from Flickr, Instagram, Vimeo, SoundCloud and Twitter are a snap to display.
- Live site previewing and editing: Setup your navigation, add pages, and edit your site’s color and layout with simple point-and-click controls. No HTML experience required.
- Themes and plugins: Browse, select and install themes and plugins through an integrated store. Everything downloads and installs automatically to your Koken installation.
- Syncs with Adobe Lightroom: Free publish services plugin for Lightroom to upload, edit or replace images from inside Lightroom.
TinyWebGallery is an open source gallery application. TinyWebGallery was initialy released in 2005.
TinyWebGallery is a free php photo album/gallery that is very easy to install, extremely user friendly, does not need a database (uses xml files) but still has all the features you should expect and much more.
- AJAX + Flash navigation with sliding image thumbnails
- XML based – no database needed
- TWG Admin to upload/manage images, manage
- Users, Color Manager
- Keyboard navigation (arrow keys)
- 3 different slideshow types
- Protected galleries
- Text and image watermarks
- Full video support
- TWG Flash uploader
- Frontend in 31, backend in 5 languages!
- Fullscreen mode
- Remote picture support
- All features can be enabled/disabled/configured
- And a lot of things that makes this photo gallery unique.
TinyWebGallery can be configured very fast for a professional gallery like a model agency but also for the pictures from the last ski holiday! Just check out the demos and the list of all functions on our website. Maybe TinyWebGallery is the image gallery you where looking for so long!
To install any of these apps in 1 click, you can go to your app center in Iwebslog Hosting and click any of these apps without any hassles. To see the website hosting packages, for Image galleries and file management, we recommend the below plans –